About Booking A Program
Education Programs Quick Guide
In order to help us best serve the needs of your group, please have the following information ready when you call or e-mail:
- Organization name, address, and phone number
- Contact name, phone number, and e-mail address
- Name(s) of programs and program type (field trip, in-school outreach, afterschool, or special program)
- Date(s) and time(s) desired, including 2 alternative dates
- Number of students and chaperones
- Grade level(s) of students
- Special physical and behavioral needs, allergies, or other medical conditions
- Any special goals and objectives for the trip, or other concepts to emphasize
When booking a program, you can expect:
- Experienced educators to lead your class or group
- Lessons aligned to the RI State Standards
- Quick program evaluations—we want to hear what you and your students think!
Field Trip Programs include:
- 1 hour lesson for PreK & K
- 1½ hour lesson for Grades 1-12—Choose one program or a combination of two
- Use of our indoor or outdoor space for your brown bag lunch
- Pre- and post-activity packet
Outreach Programs include:
- 45 minute lessons for PreK & K
- 1 hour lessons for Grades 1-12 & adult groups
- Pre- and post-activity packet
- Book multiple programs and enjoy discounted prices
After School Programs include:
- 1 hour lessons for Grades K-5
- Weekly sessions for the series length of your choice (4-7 weeks)
After School Program Fees:
- Group size of 7-12 students per week
- $7 per student per week
- You choose the series length—4-7 weeks
Please review, sign, and return your confirmation contract within two weeks of receiving it. Your deposit, 50% of the program cost, is due along with the contract to reserve your program date.
To make a cancellation, please notify NBS at least three weeks in advance of your program date. If cancellation is made within the three-week period before the scheduled program start date, your deposit of 50% of the program cost will not be returned.
Schedule your program for the month of January and receive $10 off your Outreach fee or $1 off per student Field Trip fee. Don’t worry—we schedule snow days in case of severe weather.
Title I Scholarships/Transportation Scholarships
We are committed to making environmental education accessible for all students. Please request a scholarship application by emailing Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are reviewed on an individual basis.
CLICK HERE to find out more about having and booking a Birthday Party.
What if the number of students in my grade level exceeds your daily field trip maximum?
NBS will work with you to get all of your students out in the field. We can cycle two clusters of students through a program taught twice that day. We can also adjust pricing when possible to make multiple days or trips more affordable.
What happens if the weather is bad on the day of our field trip?
NBS holds programs rain or shine, so please dress appropriately for the weather. However, in the case of extreme weather, we can defer to a rain date or alternatively teach a lesson indoors. If you are concerned about the weather the morning of your program, please call the front desk at 401-846-2577.
What if we are unable to arrive by the scheduled time or have to leave early?
Please let us know as soon as possible if there are any changes in your availability. Our staff will do their best to ensure students receive the essential elements of all programs, but we cannot guarantee an extended program time.
Can I book an outreach program for an auditorium-style program?
We book outreach programs for classes of 30 or fewer participants, and we can schedule multiple classes on the same day. While we are unable to deliver programs to very large groups, we may be able to recommend other Environmental Education partners who can do so.
My child/student has allergies. What precautions should I take when visiting NBS?
NBS is a peanut-aware facility, and we take precautions to not introduce tree nuts into our teaching spaces. Please let your educator know if a child has severe allergies to any of our animal ambassadors. If a student carries an EpiPen, he or she should bring it along as usual; our staff is trained to assist in administering an EpiPen dose if necessary.
Do you offer programs accessible to people of different learning and/or physical abilities?
Yes. Please let us know about any special needs when you book your program, and we can tailor the lesson to meet the needs of your group. Our educators are trained to lead groups of all abilities. Our Universal Trail is wheelchair accessible.